Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Real Illness





I wish I had a real illness...
An illness that would
cause those who love me
to visit, bringing flowers.

An illness that would
insist that I treasure
the moments I have
left on this earth.

I wish I had a real illness...
An illness where people
helped me with
the quotidian hardships.

An illness that would
cause me to dote
on each beautiful
occurrence in life.

I wish I had a real illness...
An illness where those around me
would cheer me for each step I make
As I try to walk this life.

An illness that would allow
me to turn the other cheek
when I feel yet another blow
to my pummeled heart.

A real illness...
Instead of this common, secret illness
that incapacitates
masses of people.

Instead of an illness
we’d all rather ignore,
an illness we try to wish away,
because we think it possible.

No.  I really just wish that
my illness – along with any other – 
would be met with compassion, dignity
and hearts full of healing.

“Real” or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment